The Origin of our most love Marie Biscuits!
Cookies have long been a beloved snack, enjoyed by scores of different cultures around the world, each with their own different take on this magical treat. The earliest trace of cookies dates back to 7th Century AD, in Persia, and was spread abroad during numerous wars. They were and still are a favored food for soldiers and sailors, as they are nutritious and last long without refrigeration.
Let’s take some time out to discuss one of our favorite types of cookies as South Africans, the humble Marie Biscuit. The first Marie Biscuit was baked in London in 1874 by a bakery that wanted to commemorate the wedding of Maria Alexandrovna, the Grand Duchess of Edinburg, and it was originally called Maria. Marie biscuits are dunkable cookies and they are best served with tea or by sandwiching marshmallows between two biscuits J
Another way to enjoy our Henro Maries is by using them in a Banana Tart! We chose to go with our Henro Caramel Marie Biscuits as the secret weapon!
Banana Caramel Tart Recipe
1 packet Henro Caramel Marie Biscuits.
125 g melted butter or margarine (125 ml)
1 x 397 g tin caramelized condensed milk
2 – 3 bananas, not overripe
Juice of 1 lemon
250 ml cream or low-fat cream
1 small Flake chocolate bar
1) Crush Henro Caramel Marie Biscuits and add in melted butter – mix well.
2) Press into a 20 – 22 cm pie plate, working up the sides and on the base to form a secure shell. Chill for 15 minutes.
3) Spread the tin of caramelized condensed milk over the base.
4) Peel and slice bananas; toss in lemon juice and arrange over caramel.
5) Whip cream with a small electric hand beater until peaks form; spread over bananas to cover and top with a crushed Flake or sieve over a little powdered cocoa.
Tips and tricks:
Place un-skinned bananas in a large bowl. Pour boiling water over and wait one minute. The skins turn black; remove from water and cool down before peeling. This will stop bananas from discoloring.
If the presentation is key for you to place the crushed biscuits into small jars or glasses or cups then add top with condensed milk and bananas and finish off with whipped cream.